Monday, March 19, 2007

Puisi-poesy one year on

Well, I don’t want to begin with cliché in speaking of how time flies and how in a blink of an eye, a year has both come and gone for this blog… Alas, I am the least poetic among the others here in expressing these things. Words often fail me quite routinely. Perhaps that is why I am not a poet.

But, words in the hands of poets become delectable morsels that twirl in one’s mouth, explosions of tastes on the tongue, symphonies and melodies of one’s heart; bringing forth images that makes us dream dreams see beyond seeing, and sometimes cut and sear us deeply. All in all, I would like to think, that reading poetry draws us to a kind of intimacy, enjoining us in the mystery of oneself in meeting, encountering another.

Similarly, the conversations and friendships I have had through this blog has been really wonderful, and I am especially grateful to my fellow contributors here who have willingly partnered in this silly idea of mine, patiently bearing with me, enabling our blog to successfully run for a year. Frankly, I was initially worried that we may not sustain our efforts, especially with the want of support at times, but we did it!

For this ‘year’, if I am allowed a wish, I hope that more of my fellow Malaysians would read poetry, and that we here at puisi-poesy will continue to carry on well into another year.

With this, I leave a children’s poem that speaks of the simple enchantment of reading poetry.


Forbidden Poem

This poem is not for children.
Keep Out!

There is a big oak door
in front of this poem.
It’s locked.

And on the door is a notice
in big red letters.
It says: Any child who enters here
will never be the same again.
WARNING. KEEP OUT.

But what’s this?
A key in the keyhole.
And what’s more,
nobody’s about.

“Go on. Look,”
says a little voice
inside your head.
“Surely a poem
cannot strike you dead?”

You turn the key.
The door swings wide.
And then you witness
what’s inside.

And from that day
you’ll try in vain.
You’ll never be the same again.

by Tony Mitton


P
oetry isn't that forbidding, isn't it? :)

5 Comments:

Blogger thewailer said...

god forbids! hahaha! nice poem!

2:52 PM, March 20, 2007  
Blogger enar arshad said...

poetry is words that bloom in our hearts

11:05 PM, March 20, 2007  
Blogger dreameridiot said...

Thanks guys... People like you guys help remind us that poetry matters, and indeed it does!

Wailer, yes, it's nice, isn't it, from a child's perspective. Keep on writing yourself! :)

Enar, such beautiful expression! You are definitely a poet yourself!

6:45 PM, March 21, 2007  
Blogger bibliobibuli said...

happy birthday to us!!!! love the poem

7:05 AM, April 02, 2007  
Blogger chong y l said...

dreaner idiot:

I am not good at poetry critique, but enjoy pening some verses which you know of course!

Reading this review maketh me forward one I composed for the Young Ones like my nieces and nephews (and you and me when we overdozed on tehtarik!:), so I seek your ER' indulgence for my 2 minutes of self-claimed infamy forcing my lines into your space!:(


Thank you!

When Auntie gives you a cookie
You learnt from young to say "Thank you!"

When you are handed a red packet on New Year's Day
You wish the giver: "Happy New Year, thank you!"

When Boss gives you a raise
You gush: "Thank you, thank you!"

So one is taught civil behaviour
At school, at work and at the dinner table

Also, Elders beseech you:
If someone slaps you on the left cheek
Please turn him your right cheek

But I wouldn't advise you thus
In my wisdom gotten in golden years
I would beseech you,shout back:
"No, no thanks!
I don't fire blanks!"


Chong Yen Long

1:49 PM, April 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home